Beginning Simply is now offering Junior Cooking Classes!
What better way for your child to:
- take more ownership of their nutrition and eating habits,
- develop their palate (learn to season, taste test, appreciate healthy foods, etc…)
- build life skills (not just cooking, but also planning, prep, clean up, teamwork, and safety), AND
- get excited about helping around the house!
Plus, cooking provides a healthy alternative to the technology addiction epidemic facing today’s kids.
- Junior chefs who want to get more serious in the kitchen 🙂
- Kids who think they don’t like healthy food
- Aspiring Foodies
- Kids whose busy parents need help getting dinner on the table
Class options available:
Each class features a special ingredient category and a specific technique (See below).
Level 1: 5th-7th grade (1 1/2 hours)
- Stir Fry and Rice
- Learning about Asian flavors and knife skills
- Students’ Choice of Lentil, Butternut Squash, Acorn Squash, Pumpkin, or Split Pea – Features classic “mirepoix” training, flavor layering, and blender use and safety – immersion and regular
- Homemade sausage (for pizzas, gravies, breakfast patties, Italian meatballs, and more!)
- Featuring American classic spices and how to make and use your own spice mixes
- Healthy Casseroles
- Featuring classic marinara techniques, pasta alternatives, and lots of cheezy goodness! – Including an intro to goat cheese and homemade Sour Cream
- Healthy Snacks/easy desserts
- Homemade popcorn, microwave muffins and brownies
- Slow cooker and Braising
- Healthy meals when you don’t have a lot of time – Meat safety and food prep in advance (Options: Chicken, beef, or pork)
Level 2: 8th grade + (2 hours)
All classes include instruction on how to stock a healthy, versatile pantry, plus meal planning and food prep in advance so that meals are quick and easy.
- Slowcooking and Braising techniques, plus Homemade Pasta and Sour Cream!
- Clam Chowder in Sourdough bread bowls
- Salads, dressings, and homemade croutons
- Featuring students’ choices: Caesar, Ranch, Bluecheese, Balsamic, spicy or creamy coleslaw, honey mustard, assorted vinagrettes
- Learn to love salads again, plus homemade croutons and how to keep your dressings healthy and delicious
- Focus Technique: emulsifying
- Sauces and marinades (Learn the art of grilling and brine-ing, and make your own secret ingredient barbeque sauce and ketchup)
- Homemade Mexican Chorizo + Salsa verde (Bring authentic mexican flavors to your home kitchen)
- Desserts (Fruit cobblers with homemade icecream – Learn the secret ingredients to unctious pie fillings and make it simple and even more delicious with pie crust alternatives – plus quick, rustic )
Other options by request: Spanish paella, Hummus and Naan, Greek Falafel and Gyros with Taziki, Spanish churros and chocolate, etc.
- $20 / single class / student
- $55 / three classes / student
- $100 / all six classes / student
Classes must be paid in advance to reserve your spot. Message on Facebook for more information!
Space is limited to 7 students per class. Students registered for all 6 classes get priority placement!
Want private classes or in home options??
Check out the party page for more details!